söndag 16 maj 2010

Ashcloud Trips

Added on bit in English on request ...

The last text was about, in a way, that most people in England today are prevented from making any trips in the sky due to the ashcloud, which is somewhat ironic when this is the week celebrated by Christians when Jesus went up to heaven. In Sweden this is marked by a red day in the calender whereas here the day goes by unnoticed.

As Jesus made his exit with the famous words:

19Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

20Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

according to the Gospel of Matthew, marking the beginning of mission for the apostles (a vital part of Christian faith), I find it strange that I have no memories of having this explained to me as a child, although I remember talking about all other Christian holidays. And as no one seems to pay much attention to this in England, I wonder if this holiday is lost between Easter and Pentecost.

Even though I had no relationship with this event as a child, finding it odd with a man flying up to the sky on the drawings in my Bible for children, I have come to find it meaningful in the sense of depicting loneliness, being deserted and having to fend for yourself. The miracle in the story I find in the Gospel of Luke, when the apostles are described as walking back down from the mountain where Jesus left them, not feeling sad or confused, but overwhelmed with joy. To me it means something about trust and faith, that even in total abandonment, have the courage to believe - and as curious as it is in the story, it actually works.

For me personally, the second half of Jesus' message is more powerful than the first - I suppose I am not much of a missionary:

I am with you always, even unto the end of the world.

That is some promise.

1 kommentar:

bohemianboy2001 sa...

that's wonderful!