måndag 3 oktober 2016

45


Inspired by the blog Little Bits of Sheffield I did a little photo exercise called "45" this evening. It was really fun, and much harder than I first thought.

This is how you do it, and this bit of text is copied from Little Bits of Sheffield (hope that's OK):

Walk for 5 minutes and take a photograph from where you stand.  Repeat for the duration of 45 minutes to complete a set of 9 images.  Take only one photograph at each location and none in between.  Spend no more than one minute composing the image then move on to the next.  The first image at each location will be the one you keep.  Do not delete or retake any images.

My images above were taken today the 3rd of October between 17.00 and 17.45 in the Sheffield city centre.

I usually take a lot of pictures at the same time, and I tend to look for trees, flowers and old buildings and it was hard to just take one photo and leave it there. It was also difficult to stand still and resist the temptation to go towards the objects I am naturally drawn to.

The first photo with the mural of the steel worker was a good starting point as I got off the bus there and it immediately attracted my attention. Then I just wandered around aimlessly in the city centre, knowing I wanted to catch my bus home again from the Peace Gardens later on. It was weird to take your time walking around during the rush hour when everybody were trying to get home as quickly as possible ... That affected my route and I went on roads which were less busy. A backstreet to the cathedral, then to Orchard Square which was very quiet. Down to West Street where I saw the writing in the window - something I wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't for the exercise. I saw the sun shine through the old phone box in a beautiful way and I would have taken several pictures here under normal circumstances. Walked past the City Hall that looked amazing in the warm evening glow but my 5 minutes weren't up yet and I ended up on another backstreet where I took the "Popworld" photo. Went through Barker's Pool and saw the monument with the soldiers that I have always liked, and finally in the Peace Gardens I caught a last glimpse of the Herd of Sheffield with a detail of a bird on an elephant's belly.

8 kommentarer:

Monica sa...

Verkar svårt men kul att göra på något annat sätt och jag ser dig framför mig där du går och fotar på de ställena, du berättar så bra!

Steel City Anna sa...

Mamma: man kommer himla långt på 45 minuter tänkte jag som knatar på ganska fort och jag fick anstränga mej för att ta det lite lugnt :) Ville hem innan det blev mörkt och hinna shoppa lite dessutom :)

Anonym sa...

I wasn't sure how best to contact you so have left a comment - obviously there is no need to actually publish this comment on your site so just delete it once you have read it!
I'm about to set up a 45 wordpress photo blog and it would be great if I could add your set of images as one of the posts. If you have a Dropbox account maybe you could set up a folder and send the link via my contact page. I will obviously credit you and link back to your site.
If you prefer not then not to participate then no problem.
I have no idea if the 45 site will actually get much interest but I like the idea of having a blog with lots of guest bloggers offering their own 45's. Once it is set up you would be welcome to contribute further 45's if you are inspired to do so.
Best wishes, Mr Cafe

Steel City Anna sa...

Mr Cafe: that sounds like a great idea! Happy to be a part of it :)

Anonym sa...

That is great news. Take a look at my new Forty Five blog site....
https://takeninephotosinfortyfiveminutes.wordpress.com
It is early days and it will no doubt need some tweaking but it would be great to add your images as a gallery (the ones you have put on your blog already).
Are you able to Dropbox them as numbered images. Dropbox or some other file sharing cloud thingy!
I would love to also include your words as I very much enjoyed reading them and it added something to the post. Would you be ok with that?
Take a read of the blurb on the "What is Forty Five" page. I hope it makes sense and sounds friendly...
Thanks for your enthusiasm
Mr Cafe

Steel City Anna sa...

Mr Cafe: I haven't got Dropbox I'm afraid! I'm very old fashioned :) ... Also I have only saved the photos as a collage and deleted the originals ... I take so many photos so I do this every now and again to save space and keep them in some sort of order that is easy to go through. Will it be possible to just download the collage? Happy for you to do that. If I do another 45 I'll save the photos :)

And yes, you can add the notes to the photos :)

Will have a look at your new page now!

Anonym sa...

Hi,
You are now on the Forty Five site! https://takeninephotosinfortyfiveminutes.wordpress.com
I have given you full credit and also linked to your site. I've also noted that you were the first to respond. Someone has to be first but I think it is nice to acknowledge how quickly you picked up the idea.
Thank you again for the enthusiasm you have shown for 45. Your contribution to the new site is appreciated.
Keep up the good work
Best wishes
Mr Cafe

Steel City Anna sa...

Mr Cafe: great! I hope you get many more to fill the new site with. I'm planning to do some next week, in a different setting than the city centre. Think it will be more challenging.